South Shore Fire Accident Attorneys Focused on Justice for You
Burn injuries from a fire go beyond the cosmetic. The pain and emotional trauma suffered by a victim must be a factor in determining damages. Discovering that the damage was preventable due to negligent acts only adds to an already emotionally-charged matter.
At McGowan & Associates, we combine our experience, insight and legal knowledge with compassion, dedication and a focus on securing justice for our clients. If you or a family member have suffered serious and potentially fatal burn injuries caused by a negligent party, contact us at 781-261-9977 for a free initial consultation.
Dedicated and Hardworking South Shore Burn Injury Attorneys
Following a chemical burn, gas station explosion, product defect, fire pit accident or firework mishap, you need immediate medical care. If negligence caused the burn injuries, you need an experienced and knowledgeable plaintiff personal injury attorney with insight as an insurance defense lawyer. Far too much is at stake to put your case in the hands of a lesser-experienced lawyer from a personal injury “mill.”
At our firm, you are a name, not a number. Our legal services are personalized, not from a cookie-cutter.
Recuperation from a burn injury is significant and lengthy. While skin grafts can help, there still may be noticeable scarring, not to mention the emotional impact from the mere stigma. People stare or look away, frightened at the site of a disfigured individual.
With all factors involved, burn injury claims are treated with special consideration at our firm. Uncovering the coverage has never been more vital for securing the recovery our clients and their family members are entitled to under the law.
General Information About Burn Injuries
There are three categories of burn severity:
- First-degree burns involve the top layer of the skin suffers damage. First-degree burns are typically characterized by redness and minor inflammation. These burns cause minimal damage, and usually heal within a couple of weeks. They can often be topically treated with aloe vera gel and cool water (not ice!)
- Second-degree burns involve damage beyond the top layer of skin. Second-degree burns are typically characterized by extremely red, blistered skin. These burns may take several weeks to heal, and require proper bandages.
- Third-degree burns are the worst type of burns, with damage extending through all layers of skin, and sometimes affecting organs and bones. Third-degree burns are characterized by a white or black dry wound, and charring. Third degree burns can cause permanent nerve damage, hypothermia, and even death, and require immediate emergency medical treatment.
Six Primary Types of Burn Injuries
• Chemical burns result from skin or tissue contact with acids, alkali, or other chemicals
• Light burns are caused by exposure to sunlight or ultraviolet light
• Radiation burns are caused by skin or tissue contact with radiation
• Thermal burns can be caused by contact with fire, steam, hot liquids, or various other sources of extreme heat
• Cold Burns involve exposure to extreme cold temperatures that can cause damage to your skin and tissue by freezing it. This can be caused by the elements or involve burns caused by ice packs, cold wraps, or gel packs and can be just as serious as a thermal burn.
• Friction burns are caused by friction contact between skin and a hard surface such as a paved surface, carpet, floor, or workplace equipment.
Burn injuries can be among the most expensive and traumatic injuries to treat. Even simple burns can become infected and require significant medical treatment. Third degree burns can take years of treatment to heal, and often have a significant impact on the victim’s quality of life and ability to work. Beyond the extreme medical expense, extensive burns can result in the burdens of repeat admission, and rehabilitation.
If you or your loved ones have been the victim of a burn injury due to the carelessness of others, you will need experienced attorneys to protect your rights. We have proven results and have recovered significant settlements for clients that sustained burn-related trauma.
For more information or to schedule an appointment with an experienced Massachusetts lawyer regarding burn injuries caused by fires or electrocution, please contact us.