The practice of catastrophic injury law involves claims for severe injuries. In such cases, not only does a victim of a catastrophic injury suffer, often indefinitely, but those close them also suffer. The ongoing physical, emotional, and financial strain of catastrophic injuries can dramatically impact family members and others close to the victim, who may require long term support and care, causing relatives and loved ones to also have to alter their lives as a result.
Those who have sustained injuries serious enough to be long-term and debilitating or that caused a deformity of permanent impairment have often suffered a catastrophic injury. Accidents or acts of negligence that result in catastrophic injury can result in an injury claim, and settlements can be pursued. At McGowan & Lavin, we have extensive experience in cases involving serious personal injuries, including:
- Burn Injuries
- Crush Injuries
- Complex Regional Pain Syndrome
- Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
- Hearing or Sight Impairment
- Infectious Diseases
- Internal Organ Damage
- Paralysis, Paraplegia and Quadriplegia
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Traumatic Brain Injury
- Wrongful Death
- Other Permanent, Physical Injuries
These injuries can occur in various ways, including
- Alcohol-Related Incidents
- Animal Bites, Accidents and Encounters
- Construction Accidents
- Dangerous Conditions On Public or private Property
- Environmental/Toxic Exposure
- Medical malpractice, medical mistakes and Infections
- Motor Vehicle Accidents
- Premises Liability
- Product defects and sailures
- Recreational Activities
- Tractor trailer, Trucking and Transportation Accidents
- Violent acts
- Workplace and Industrial Accidents
We work closely with our clients, and their families to understand their needs – and then diligently assist in coordinating medical care and rehabilitation services and aggressively seek full compensation on their behalf. In cases involving catastrophic injuries, we often work with a life care planner. This professional can identify all of the medical care and services needed by the victim over the remainder of his or her life. Then our lawyers seek full and complete compensation to cover this care. The types of damages pursued typically include:
- Medical Expenses for surgeries, rehabilitation, or permanent use of a medical device or medication as a result of your injury.
- Loss of Income for claims that require compensation for lost wages.
- Loss of Quality of Life/Emotional Damage are damages that often result form Catastrophic Injuries and we pursue claims for the pain and suffering and emotional damage suffered from an accident.
For more information or to schedule an appointment with an experienced lawyer regarding a catastrophic personal injury, please contact us via e-mail or call 781-261-9977 for a free initial consultation.